Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The (Kind-of) Copycat Challenge

Be a Blogger :: check!
  • Read a Book about an Area of Interest:: check!
  • Find Inspiration and Do Something about It:: check!

Seeing the movie Julie & Julia twice recently inspired me to find a little challenge of my own. Yes, I want to be a bit of a copycat and experiment and blog about the results within a fixed time limit. Just like Julie.

It would be highly unlikely that I would find a cookbook and create all the recipes as I am not a "foodie" or even wish to become one. So what to do? The solution nearly fell right into my lap. As I sat at my computer, Amazon "suggested" I buy a certain book based upon some of my past purchases. It had all the elements going for it - "repurposing," sewing, creating little treasures that a certain little dear one might like (eventually), and using what I have on hand and have been saving for special projects.

The Author: Vicki Haniger
The Book: Blanket Statement

The premise is that one woolen blanket can be used to create 40 - count 'em - forty projects ranging from baby slippers to pincushions, Christmas ornaments and the cutest little stuffed elephant ever complete with a party outfit and crown!

And I already have the woolen blanket on hand and ready to go! It is rescued from the packing blanket pile and is a lovely shade of soft green.

Here are just a few of the projects...I can't wait to get going on this challenge and post my results here under the title of Copycat Challenge! There will certainly be tweaking on my part to make these forty projects have a stamp of individuality. And like Julie, I want to have these 40 creations done within one year's time. Ready, set....sew!

8 comments:

____ said...

I love your `copycat` idea! How neat you could create all these things...
By the way I really liked the Julie and Julia movie, Meryl Streep just cannot get it wrong!!!!!!!!

oatley said...

Adorable, creative, amazing ... YOU!

Love the idea (also loved Julie & Julia)

Anne Bassett said...

Good luck to you mom! I can't wait to see what adorable projects you are going to make!

Michelle said...

Hey, just wanted to let you know that you won my bib giveaway! I just need your address and I will send them out. Hope the soon to be grandbaby enjoys them!

Kristin said...

Fun, fun!!! "I think you can, I think you can, I KNOW you can!"

Hey, btw, I have three kids bday parties this month...want to fly out and surprise one at their sleepover with a ghost story??? ;)

Lindahl News 2 said...

Thanks, Michelle! So exciting! I have sent my address to your yahoo address. Made my day!

Ravenhill said...

What a wonderful and inspirational looking book!

Anonymous said...

I think I asked you before, but is the adorable elepht in the book? I LOVE it!!!!!! Marcia