Sunday, March 18, 2007

Wearin' o' the Green

Wes and I decided to spend part of St. Paddy's Day with my Mom. She surprised us by wearing a green shirt in honor of the occasion! Wes always likes to see how "with it" she is, so this is their preliminary conversation on the subject: Wes: "Vera, do you like St. Patrick's Day?" Vera: "No, I don't." Wes: "Why not?" Vera: "Because there's no Swedish Day!" (I could've pointed out here that Santa Lucia Day is kind of a Swedish Day holiday, but how do you link the maiden from Italy to the Swedes adoption of her?? - anyway, aren't we all Irish on St. Patrick's Day?) We headed off to a local mall where we dined in the food court with a large carousel as part of the decor. People watching was quite enjoyable and entertaining! Folks of all ages were wearing all shades of green. We saw babies up through grandparents sporting the cheery color...even one boy had his hair dyed green! (The one with the red sweatshirt on the left.) And, as a final treat, we took Mom to her favorite store for spending o' the green... THE DOLLAR STORE! In closing, an Irish blessing: May there always be work for your hands to do. May your purse always hold a coin or two. May the sun always shine on your window pane. May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain. May the hand of a friend always be near you. May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

4 comments:

simplicity said...

I love that you are bold enough to take pics of random people out and about.

And the picture with you below the DEB sign is great!!!

simplicity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindahl News 2 said...

When taking those pictures of these random people, I tried to "snap" their backsides and keep their identities anonymous! It's just sooo much fun to people watch that I can't help myself.

(Yeah, finding that store with my name on it was the best find for St. Paddy's Day. I'm not sure about the quality of the merchandise because we didn't even enter the store! Jed was kind enough to help me post the picture
on my profile as I seem to have trouble with that part of blogging, as well as spacing the text!)

Jed and Anne said...

Great job on your post, mom. It is fun to see you out and about with Grandma. You made her day!