Thursday, May 05, 2011

Let's Whip Up Some "Besotted" Clotted Cream (Royal Wedding)

At our tea party, I knew we needed a very special menu to celebrate the Royal nuptials. Much thought was put into planning this menu with its selections that personally related to the life and times of Will and Kate. For example in the menu STARTERS I made Prince Phillip's Squash Soup as the grandfather of the groom (Phillip) had been out playing the game of squash when Prince Charles was being born. I roasted the butternut squash and then used a recipe to make the soup. Yes, I made up the name of the soup; don't look for it in any cookbook! In the presentation, I piped sour cream to look like "C" for Catherine and "W" for Will, but I need to perfect those skills as you can see below.

Following the soup and Jolly Good Champagne course, the SCONES selections were served. A chocolate chip scone, which I called Will's Request "I Love Chocolate" scones due to his desire to have the Groom's cake of chocolate biscuits. The plain scones were called Kate's Plain "Tired of Waiting" scones due to their exceedingly lengthy courtship. The scones were served with Queen Mum's Orange Marmalade and clotted cream, sometimes known as Devonshire cream. Due to the nature of Charles and Camilla's relationship, I called the clotted cream Charles and Camilla's "Besotted Clotted" Cream. Lucky you - I am going to give you a recipe for the delicious dollops you can spread on your own scones:

CHARLES AND CAMILLA'S "BESOTTED CLOTTED" CREAM

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1/4 cup confectioner's sugar

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with a mixer until stiff. Refrigerate until ready to use. Best when prepared and served on the same day. Makes 1 to 1 1/2 cups.

There were four kinds of TEA SANDWICHES served: Uncle Gary's "Turkey" Sandwiches served on Raisin "Nut" Bread (google him to find out the turkey and nut connection), Upper Crust Cucumber Sandwiches, Pippa's Perfectly Petite Poultry Popovers (chicken cream puffs), and Old Goat Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches. I choose to not elaborate publicly as to why I named these sandwiches accordingly.
Finally, we arrived at the culinary destination of DESSERTS. A very typical British tea cake is the Victorian Sponge Sandwich which is neither sandwichy or cakey. It has layers of lemon curd and raspberry jam.
Most assuredly tea and coffee was served with this cake. After having spent much time polishing my Mom's silver tea service set, I may or may not have poured the hot beverages from these spouts. I'm counting on "What happens at Lady Debra's tea parties, stays at Lady Debra's tea party" confidentiality.
There, you have it, dear readers. I believe that, as of this post, I have worked through the
Royal Wedding memories cranial file. But, there be more brewing...I don't quite want to close the chapter on this happy time quite yet. We'll see.

2 comments:

____ said...

Deb! I need the recipe of those delicious chocolate chip scones... yummy!

We hope all of you are doing good! We are back in Colorado which we enjoy very much and we did some updates to our home which now looks like a million bucks:)
Also, Cici turned one last week and next week is Will`s 3rd birthday, can you believe it?
I really need to update our blog with some pictures, they are so cute!
Love,
Timi

Lindahl News 2 said...

Timi,

It is WONDERFUL to hear from you! You have been missed. Glad to hear you made it back to Colo. I can't believe Little Man is going to be three and Cici is one. Yes, you do need to update your blog with PICTURES!!!

All the best to you and your with Love,
Deb