Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanking Mr. Beavers (P*S*C* #45)

With November nearly over, and Thanksgiving having come and gone, I just had to post something about gratitude. I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful family and dear friends.
I have warm shelter, a full belly, an ample wardrobe, a library card -and job there I love - and a long, long list of people, places and things for which I am truly grateful!
How does this relate to Toronto and the Pink Suitcase Chronicles, one might ask?
Here is the connect: I was in Toronto last in my senior year of high school on a choir trip.
And dear Mr. Beavers, Mr. Cecil Beavers - if we are getting personal here, was the choir director.
Mr. Beavers was one of those teachers that I will remember for my whole life. Somehow he managed to convey that singing is important and singing difficult choral pieces by the master composers has lasting appeal. Especially when the choir members are teenagers who have much on their minds other than choral music!
One of my favorite pieces was Benjamin Britten's Ceremony of Carols and, to this day, it just isn't Christmas until that piece is played.
Mr. Beavers also introduced us to Handel's Messiah. To this day, I can't sing this piece without remembering we had our choir auditions as to who could go on the trip to Toronto based upon their performance doing the long measures in For Unto Us a Child is Born.
Thank you, Mr Beavers! You made a huge difference in my life. I wish I knew how your life progressed once we parted in 1973. I hope you have a song in your heart still. I know I do!

1 comment:

oatley said...

So here is the skinny on Cecil "Bud" Beavers: After leaving our beloved RHS, Mr. Beavers went on to become principal at neighboring (and rival) Randolph High School. I met up with him there when our oldest son participated in a marching band competition there. He looked absolutely the same (albeit a little grayer.) He has since retired (maybe 1 or 2 years ago.) I too have fond memories of our trip - my first out of US borders. Do I dare go digging up pictures?
Thanks for the memories ... Sandi