Friday, March 28, 2008

Armchair (Reading) Journeys of Late

Go anywhere, learn anything, meet new people: it's all there for the taking when you open the covers of a book. With this l-o-n-g winter, books have been a great help in mental survival this 2008! Thus far, I've read many books, but these are the standouts: #1:This book, My Lobotomy - A Memoir is my latest find. It was wriiten by Howard Dully and talks about his lobotomy at age 12 at the hands of Dr. Freeman in the late 1950's and early 1960's. His story was also told on NPR, and I would love to have heard Dully interviewed to hear his voice live. I will be haunted by his story forever, but also have been inspired about the amazing strength and resiliency of the human spirit. #2:The Bookseller of Kabul is the latest selection in my Book Club group. It gives a fascinating glimpse into what it is like to be in this culture where men reign supreme and women are considered to be property. Not exactly light-hearted fare, but the reader is left with much appreciation for the freedom that we have right here right now. Read it to become more thankful. #3:Okay, so I have a weakness every now and then for a completely "fluffy" book and Eat Cake is just the ticket for me. It is the perfect beach read and what I read in Hawaii on our recent trip. A housewife has a penchant for baking exotic cakes (recipes included - I need the book back sometime, Anne!) when her world falls apart: her husband loses her job, her divorced parents end up moving in with her, and throw in a moody teenage daughter into the mix! The humor in survival is what got me hooked on this easy, breezy, foodie book. #4:My sister gave me this book The Friday Night Knitting Club for my birthday. The main character, Georgia, is a single mom with a passion for knitting. She owns and runs a knitting shop with charming - but quirky - staff and customers. There's a lot of drama in Georgia's personal life as well. The reader follows Georgia's unexpected journey with cancer near the end of the book when everything is on the upswing. I couldn't put this book down.
#5:The last book on this little list is a children's book. I am madly in love with this spunky little pig,Olivia. She's saucy, creative, inventive, imaginative - but has a bit of an attitude. This is the latest book in the four (and spin-offs) written by Ian Falconer. A dose of Olivia is wonderful for what is ailin' you. Makes me smile and laugh out loud every time I turn the pages. I personally think that the world would be a better place if everyone read more children's books no matter what chronological age the reader might be!

5 comments:

Linnea said...

Thanks for the reviews! I am currently reading "Harvesting the Heart" by Jodi Picoult, among other things, but requested "My Lobotomy" from my local library! Hang in there, it has GOT to warm up soon, right?

Lindahl News 2 said...

Linnea, have you read any other books by Jodi Picoult? I think she is quite a writer, succinct and precise with no excess of flowery words and phrases. I believe NINETEEN MINUTES should be mandatory reading for parents and teachers alike.

Linnea said...

Yes, I've read 19 Minutes and many others; she's one of my favorite authors. My favorite is My Sister's Keeper.

The Witty Librarian said...

I read My Lobotomy as well, and it is a really haunting book. I was in tears for the author, but amazed at what he has accomplished in his life.
I'm always a huge fan of Olivia's- she's fantastic!

andie said...

Ask a librarian, and you shall receive. You can listen to Howard Dully's NPR interview at NPR's website.

I listened to the interview, which was absolutely amazing, and have not yet read the book.