Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Kind of Couture

Yes, I have totally fallen in love with this book!
Years, years and years ago, handkerchiefs were a staple in a woman's wardrobe - working women to fancy women. Both of my Kansas grandmothers, my mother and the ladies in the church could often be seen removing a little hankie from an apron pocket, the sleeve of a shirt or dress, a pocketbook or even an upper underwear "stabilizer" which I blush to even name by its name today!
Luckily, I have ended up with many of these special cloth squares in a collection I treasure.
But... what to do with them?

Not long ago, I found myself browsing in a book store, and stumbled upon this sweet book featuring 11 1/2 inch dolls (not Barbie) modelling couture fashions made from hankies. I was immediately smitten. Not only are the pictures and fashions wonderful, but the writing of the text is, too.

The author, Marsha Greenberg, has a way with words - clever, proper, catchy.

You might enjoy this book synopsis I found on the web:

What is Hankie Couture?
"A stunningly original collection of doll-sized fashions--everything from pajamas to wedding gowns--meticulously crafted from vintage handkerchiefs. Accented with slyly witty Hankie Couture girl "philosophy," this book is a stylish showcase of 125 unique fashions and accessories. It is also a how-to guide that allows you to transform treasured heirlooms or colorful flea-market finds into one-of-a-kind fashion ensembles.

Whether it's a floral sundress that fans out as it twirls, an apron dress with a scalloped border, or a neatly pin-tucked linen dress with pearl buttons, the book encompasses a seemingly infinite variety of exquisite dresses. Neither crafters nor doll collectors have ever seen a book like this, making Hankie Couture a uniquely irresistible challenge to crafters. And with its beautiful design and kitschy lifestyle advice, this makes a great gift book."

(Or a great calendar --- maybe on half-priced sale as we're nearly into the third month of the year?)

Too bad my Barbie/Project Runway challenge is past. I so would have been making her

challenges out of hankies! (By the way, I am rooting for Mondo to win P.R.A.S. currently underway)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.