Monday, August 06, 2012

Out with the Old and In with LITTLE RED

Had enough of all the old stuff I've been posting lately?  Me, too!  Let's get on with something new in our neighborhood.  That being a certain little girl who got a certain little outfit from her MeMo.




Quite a while back I spotted this Little Red Riding Hood outfit/costume.  It was cute.  I bought it.  It was way too big --- but not any more.



Over the weekend Miss E tried the costume on.




I told her a tamed-down version of the story in which nothing dreadful happens to the Grandmother, and the wolf runs away never to be seen again. No huntsman, that's for sure.




For the next couple of hours, we played out the story:  I was the sick Grandmother, she was "Little
Red" skipping (jumping, hopping, tip-toeing, crawling) through the forest with a basket full of goodies (fake foods including a lemon, pickles, a pancake, french fries, chocolate milk, eggs, bread, etc.) to feed Grandmother back into health.  Then I would I have bedtime song sung to lure me to sleep (her choice/my favorite was a repeated chorus from the benediction "The Lord Bless You and Keep You" ) and then a countdown to wake up.




Once up, the feeling-well Grandmother (requiring a stool upon which to sit as she's old and can't easily sit on the floor) would go for a picnic with Little Red spread out on the quilt I made for her birth.  And repeat. Repeat, repeat. 




There are merits to hot days when you are stuck inside!  But, please, be on the lookout for wayward wolves who aren't invited indoors!

2 comments:

____ said...

Just adorable! She is growing up!

Anne Bassett said...

I love these pictures, mom! Maybe if we got some pictures of you as the "granny" in this story, you could make a little flip-book of Red Riding Hood? Just an idea....