Monday, January 12, 2009

Pink Suitcase Chronicles #14: Californina or Bust!

Did you get the clue in the last post that we were in California? We were! And it was quite fun, as a matter of fact. Seeing a favorite uncle, visiting the birthplace of a former U.S. president, going to Disneyland (that's where the last post pic was taken), walking along the beach, touring a mission...all good. Not good? Having my Pink injured on the flight out.
Here's a close-up of her loss:
She was stowed in the overhead bin in the airplane. Upon arrival, a sweet little older man (not Wes) yanked her out of the bin and stripped her of her American Tourister label. Ouch! I'll have to contact the company to see if I can have this replaced.

On our first full day, we visited my uncle Les and wife Betty. As Dad's last surviving sibling, Les could tell stories no one else could and I learned my Great Grandfather Oliver Nelson had been to California to pan for gold in the California Gold Rush. Not much came of this, so he settled in Kansas and raised a large family instead.

California still has much to offer its residents and visitors. Even though it was only in the 50's and 60's the surfers were out, too. Those dark dots in the background are surfers. The gulls in the foreground made me think of the Beach Boys song "Surfer Girls" except I called them "Surfer Gulls." Along the beach close to us (Newport Beach), there was little to search for in the way of shells. Seaweed had to do...and it is beautiful in its own way, too. Day one was certainly a reminder to enjoy being out in the open air, instead of what was happening back at home. We knew we should savor the sun and sea air however fleeting it would be! Coming: a trip to the "Happiest Place on Earth."

6 comments:

simplicity said...

You were so close to where my dad is!!! WOW! You could have bumped into each other! :)

Looks like a great time, looking forward to the Disney pics :)

Lindahl News 2 said...

Too bad we didn't know that he was nearby! We could have strolled along the beach together.

Linnea said...

What fun! I didn't know we had gold-panners in our history! I have my own beach trip coming up SOON! :)

Lindahl News 2 said...

Where are you going, Linnea? Can't wait to see the pics on your blog!

Melissa said...

I think you should send the company a link to all of your "PSC" stories...you could get yourself an extra piece of matching luggage or be their spokesperson! Seriously, can you imagine if they sponsored some of your trips?!

Ah, Cali...I can smell that sweet ocean air and a glass of wine with my best friend right now...

Lindahl News 2 said...

Melissa, I had that idea, too! A letter with some Pink Suitcase Chronicles enclosed is on it's way to headquarters! Wish me luck.