Saturday, August 15, 2009

MOB vs. MOG

The question I have most often been asked during this wedding season is, "How does it feel to be mother of the groom instead of the mother of the bride?" Three summers ago, it was Diane's turn to be the Mother of the Groom, and I so enjoyed watching her take it all in as her son married our daughter. I see so many similarities between these two - both are kind, thoughtful individuals with a love of people in general. Diane was supportive of any decision and plan being made, and we chatted often on the phone as I updated her with the wedding details and plans. We formed a nice friendship! This time, it was my turn to be the MOG. I have to say I really liked this "job" as well. When I was the MOB, I never could put my mind to rest with details, details, details always swimming in my brain. I'd wake up in the middle of the night with some idea, plan or problem to solve, and couldn't get back to sleep. Not so with being the MOG. Kass (Kari's mom) took over this nighttime shift - while meanwhile I slept with ease. Kass, you did a fantastic job as the Mother of the Bride! You made it look so easy and effortless. You thought of those details with finesse and gusto, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the hard work you did! And you looked beautiful in your beige-ish dress that I was advised to wear as MOG! The funny part was actually living out the part in the saying for the MOG with "Wear Beige, Show Up and Shut Up" when I lost my voice the morning of the wedding and didn't speak at all that day. Hmmm... As far as which role I liked better, I can honestly say that the only answer is BOTH! Lucky me to have a daughter and son to try out both hats.

1 comment:

____ said...

You and Kass both looked great at the wedding! Your kids must be very proud!