Monday, September 29, 2008

The Pink Suitcase Chronicles #9: HOMECOMING HOOPLA

Did you know that this sculpture entitled "Learn of Me" on the North Park campus was originally displayed at the 1964 New York World's Fair in Flushing Meadows Corona Park? I like to think happy thoughts that my Pink companion has met Jesus! In the city of Chicago, no less!
Again? Yes, we packed up again! This was just for an overnight, though, as it was the weekend of North Park University's HOMECOMING. I loved the theme of "The World's Fair of 2008 - commemorating the 115th anniversary of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, called the Columbian Exposition, and the 75th anniversary of the 1933 Chicago World's Fair entitled "A Century Of Progress." Actually, North Park moved from Minneapolis in 1893, too, so what a reason to celebrate!
This activity in the Homecoming brochure really caught my eye, and I knew that I'd have to find a way to go on this trip...have you read the featured book, Devil in the White City by Eric Larson? It's a must-read for Chicago history buffs, as well as an intriguing look into the mass murders committed by a psychopath masquerading as a doctor. Included in the trip: a ride on the Ferris wheel at Navy Pier! Best of all, my sister agreeed to be my travel mate. The tour bus The tour grop...all 52 of us!

Even though the day turned out to be quite hot, we enjoyed ourselves immensely. There's more to come...but first a wee bit of North Park trivia: Did you know these urns by WILSON HALL on the North Park campus were from the 1933 World's Fair? My Pink visited them, too.

3 comments:

simplicity said...

How come I never knew that NPU moved from Minneapolis to Chicago?!? WOW! You learn something new every day!

Sarah said...

SO good to see you this weekend, Deb! I'm glad that your pink suitcase was able to have a conversion experience too.

Melissa said...

Flushing Meadows is just a few miles from my mom's home in NYC, where I lived for 8 years of my life and often return. What a fun tidbit I never knew!