Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Swag-gering (Copycat Challenge #30)

Spooky Halloween swags, a GIVE THANKS swag for Thanksgiving, a PEACE ON EARTH swag for Christmas...I've made a few swags in my day! When I saw the Scrap Squares Garland on pages 34-35 in the Blanket Statement book by Vicki Haninger, I knew that I would "tweak" it to make a name swag for Ellie's little nursery in our home.
I found a glittery sticker "diamond" word of l-i-v-e in the dollar bin at Michael's (ooh, that area is a magnet for savvy savers!) and cut it apart to make the letters in her name. Easy as pie. Then I cut out five large scalloped paper circles in brown, 5 large alternating color circles, 5 circles from a discarded book paper and 5 alternating color small scalloped circles. Holes punched, a fancy ornament hook threaded through the hole and hooked between two beads on the swag. And done! This swag also has a secret: it can be used to hang other words - longer words such as H-A-L-L-O-W-E-E-N and C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S. Every 18 squares, two beads were thread between the green wool pieces. Using those curly ornament hooks to hang the letters will make changing swag-iments possible in the blink of an eye!
Coming: the Copycat Challenge finale!! Sort of like the fireworks on the 4th of July booming-off in green wool!

No comments: