Friday, September 18, 2009

Black and White and Red (Read) All Over

(Talking about newspapers here.) The most recently aired episode of Project Runway was this past Thursday night and I thought it was one of the most creative episodes ever! Contestant designers had to make their projects out of newspapers. Mostly dresses, they were inspiring as far as what could be done to make paper into fashion. One designer made a decoupaged bustier with a flowing feathery newspaper skirt. Another made a trench coat (the winner, by the way) with scrunched up newspaper bits - think tissue paper "art" preschoolers make - as a furlike texture for the coat lapels and cuffs. The one experiment that really DIDN'T work was the origami crane birds holding up the straps of the evening gown...it could have been lovely, but was ugly as ugly could be...especially when the gown was painted blood red. Poor designer Johnny. The former addict. I could feel empathy for him as he struggled to get drug-free and regain confidence. But what really made me crazy was his whining and making excuses - even lying - as to why his redone project failed. The kicker: working on a crossword puzzle when he should have been nose-to-the-grindstone in the 11th hour with the fashion show just a few hours away. Why do I get sucked into watching this show? Because it shows what the human brain can do to rise to a challenge. Because of the unexpected problem-solving and creativity that one would never expect in ordinary everyday life. Because of that challenge I was given as an art student in the early 1970's to make a drawing series of a nautilus shell turning into a giraffe. Because art is art. No, I wouldn't wear most of these fashions. Or buy them if I could. It's just about the possibilities. Meanwhile, maybe I should brush up on my origami skills until next week's show! Never know when it might come in handy to know how to fold a newspaper when so many newspapers are folding...

2 comments:

Lindahl News 2 said...

Thanks, Jo! It's good to know you love the show,too!

Katherine Nicole Therese said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that's been sucked into that show! :)